Our Carbon Strategy
Acting early: our carbon strategy
We have established a strategic target for AIPUT to achieve carbon neutrality by 2025. This strategy has been researched and designed in collaboration with WSP, a world leader in specialist technical services within the infrastructure and aviation sector.
We work closely with teams across our asi business and supply chain to embed the objective in all decision making, and when partnering with occupiers.
The foundations of this strategy are to:
“Airports are gateways to innovation and a home to dynamic businesses that are essential for UK growth. Our carbon strategy seeks to deliver a positive impact for our customers and local communities, while still meeting strategic objectives for our investors.”
Nick Smith, AIPUT Fund Manager
Each year, AIPUT will review its carbon emissions and apply a carbon price to ring-fence a sum of money to support abatement projects.
In 2025, AIPUT will offset any residual emissions using ‘Gold Standard’ credits. The intention is to minimise the need to offset as much as possible.
Key initiatives include:
Why are we doing this
- There is a clear direction and momentum towards a low-carbon economy
- The government is legally committed to reducing the UK’s carbon footprint by 80% by 2050
- The UK is a signatory of the Paris Agreement, which commits national governments to keep global warming to less than 20C
- Heathrow 2.0 Sustainability strategy is to “operate zero carbon airport infrastructure by 2050”
- Cutting carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions and supporting the transition to a low-carbon economy
- Reducing vehicle use, which would make airports cleaner and safer places for airport users and local communities
- Creating better places to work, and empowering occupiers and their staff
- Operational and financial efficiencies for occupiers by reducing occupancy costs over the lease term
- Releasing strategic land for alternative uses by unlocking value for occupiers and opening up opportunities
- Futureproofing the AIPUT portfolio and investor returns for the long term
- Supporting the sustainability goals of ASI, occupiers and other stakeholders
How will this help our customers?
How can our customers help?