Operationally carbon-neutral warehouse reflects continuing strength of well-established Heathrow industrial location
London: 09 December 2021: abrdn’s AIPUT fund (Airport Industrial Property Unit Trust) has today announced the start of construction works on its latest airport-related warehouse development at Blackthorne Point, located immediately to the west of Heathrow Airport on the Poyle Trading Estate. The new warehouse represents a significant vote of confidence in Poyle’s strength as an attractive investment location for industrial real estate in close proximity to Heathrow Airport.
The new, 27,760 sq ft (2,579 sq m) GEA building will occupy a 1.2 acre plot along Blackthorne Road in Poyle, just across from Heathrow’s Terminal 5 and close to Junction 14 of the M25. Located alongside AIPUT’s Blackthorne Point Estate, the new building will be a stand-alone facility, benefitting from its own dedicated access, parking and service yard facilities. AIPUT’s existing customers at Blackthorne Point include UPS Supply Chain, Horizon International and C H Robinson.
The building will aim to be operationally carbon neutral and therefore is expected to achieve BREEAM Excellent accreditation and a minimum of EPC A. Solar PV panels will be incorporated, together with electric vehicle charging points and rainwater harvesting, with recycled materials used wherever possible in the construction. The lead contractor for the expected eight month build programme, will be A&H Construction, reporting to project manager Northland.
Fraser Green, Asset Manager for abrdn, commented: “This welcome addition to AIPUT’s Heathrow portfolio marks the latest phase in our accelerated investment strategy to deliver exceptional warehouse space that is efficient, sustainable and offers great value for money.
“At a time of historic low vacancy levels set against a growing and more demanding occupier base, we expect to secure a pre-let for our building early in the New Year.”
Development of the new building at Blackthorne Point also provides an opportunity for AIPUT to make improvements to the wider operational environment around Blackthorne Road, including a widening of the entrance to the estate to reduce the risk of congestion and improve security through the installation of a new occupier-controlled access gate.
AIPUT’s leasing representatives at Blackthorne Point are DTRE, JLL and Altus.
Notes to editors
- abrdn’s’ Airport Industrial Property Unit Trust (AIPUT) is a market-leading and award-winning expert long-term investor specialising in industrial property at and within major UK airport ecosystems. AIPUT is the only specialist airport-focused industrial fund in the UK for expert institutional investors, with a life until 2036. AIPUT aims to deliver a positive ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) performance impact from undertaking responsible investment activity throughout its portfolio.
- The fund, which marked its 16-year anniversary in March 2021, manages a prime portfolio of properties providing high-quality and customised warehouse and logistics space and services:
- £0.9 Billion assets under management (@ November 2021)
- Delivered a Trust total return of 34% in the 12 months to September 2021
- 21 assets, amounting to c2.5m sq ft, spread over 200 acres
- 2.3m sq ft of assets at Heathrow, making AIPUT one of the largest landlords around the airport, serving the evolving needs of the airport and the air-freight related industry, and increasingly the 7 million people that live and work in the area, with the ultimate objective to shape a thriving and resilient airport ecosystem that everyone can benefit from and enjoy
- Assets at London’s three major international airports: Heathrow (92%), Gatwick (6%) and Stansted (2%)
- Clients and investors – pension funds & expert institutional investors
- More information can be found at AIPUT’s dedicated website: www.aiput.co.uk
At abrdn, we enable our clients to plan, save and invest for their futures.
We structure our business into three areas – and together they reflect our focus on enabling our clients to be better investors:
- Investments: We work with clients to create solutions across asset classes, regions and markets globally – combining multi-layered research and market insights with technology and diverse thinking.
- Adviser: We offer market-leading platform technology and tools that enable UK wealth managers and financial advisers to create more opportunity for their business and their clients.
- Personal: We help people throughout the UK plan for their financial futures – through our financial planning business and our digital investing services.
Across our investments, adviser and personal businesses we manage and administer £532 billion of assets for our clients, and abrdn plc has over 1 million shareholders. (Figures as at 30 June 2021)
Our investments are built on an insight strength that comes from multi-layered research and a large global footprint. Our teams collaborate across multiple capabilities, to create forward-thinking solutions that aim to meet our clients’ needs and deliver more sustainable outcomes. Our investments business manages £456.6 billion on behalf of individuals, governments, pension funds, insurers, companies, charities and foundations (as at 30 June 2021) – with support and expertise from 800 investment specialists in over 30 locations.
abrdn is the single global brand for all areas of our business. In July 2021 our plc listing became abrdn plc. In September our investments business, formerly Aberdeen Standard Investments, became abrdn.
For Professional Investors only
The value of investments, and the income from them, can go down as well as up and you may get back less than the amount invested. Past performance is not a guide to future results. Tax treatment depends on the individual circumstances of each investor and may be subject to change in the future. We recommend that you seek financial advice prior to making an investment decision.
The details contained here are for information purposes only and should not be considered as an offer, investment recommendation, or solicitation to deal in any investments or funds and does not constitute investment research, investment recommendation or investment advice in any jurisdiction. Any research or analysis used to derive, or in relation to, the above information has been procured by us for our own use, without taking into account the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific investor, and may have been acted on for own purpose.
No warranty is given as to the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this communication and no liability for errors or omissions in such information. Readers must make assessments to the relevance, accuracy and adequacies of the information contained in this communication and make independent investigations, as they may consider necessary or appropriate for the purpose of such assessments. Any opinion or estimate contained in this communication, are made on a general basis. No information contained herein constitutes investment, tax, legal or any other advice, or an invitation to apply for securities in any jurisdiction where such an offer or invitation is unlawful, or in which the person making such an offer is not qualified to do so.
Issued in the United Kingdom (UK) by Aberdeen Asset Managers Limited, registered in Scotland (SC108419) at 10 Queen’s Terrace, Aberdeen, AB10 1XL, and Standard Life Investments Limited registered in Scotland (SC123321) at 1 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 2LL. Both companies are authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Conduct Authority.