The letting at AIPUT’s Blackthorne Point campus demonstrates the health of the occupier market around Heathrow, a vital logistics gateway to serve London and the South East.
AIPUT (Airport Industrial Property Unit Trust) has today announced that it has let the newly completed ‘Black Arrow’ warehouse at its Blackthorne Point logistics campus, part of the Poyle Trading Estate to the west of Heathrow’s Terminal 5 (T5). The site is the first UK logistics base for international freight forwarder, EFL Global, who are in growth mode. This transaction reinforces the health of the occupier market and the strong international appetite for high-quality modern warehouse space around Heathrow and West London.
The new warehouse building will be operationally net zero and incorporates a range of environmental initiatives including roof-mounted photovoltaic panels and other Low and Zero Carbon technologies, which together will deliver a 30% reduction in CO₂ emissions over building regulation requirements. Black Arrow is projected to achieve a minimum of BREEAM ‘Excellent’ and EPC ‘A+’ ratings and has been constructed in accordance with AIPUT’s Pathway to Net Zero strategy, which seeks to decarbonise the fund’s operations and its logistics portfolio by 2040.
The new high-specification, 27,760 sq ft GIA (2,579 sq m GIA) industrial warehouse occupies a 1.2 acre site adjacent to AIPUT’s Blackthorne Point Estate, close to T5 and within a mile of Junction 14 on the M25. Once fully operational, up to 35 new roles are expected to be created at the site, which will primarily handle stock imports for major high street clothing retailers. AIPUT’s existing customers at Blackthorne Point include UPS Supply Chain, Scan Global Logistics, Flostream and CH Robinson.
Commenting on the Black Arrow letting, AIPUT Fund Manager, Nick Smith, said: “AIPUT is delighted to welcome EFL Global as our newest customer to our recently completed Black Arrow warehouse, West Heathrow. Collaboration is at the core of our culture, and through working closely and at speed with EFL Global, we are pleased to have met their needs and introduce an exciting new global freight forwarder to the UK logistics market.
“We recognise our responsibility to be part of the solution to improve the environment and vitality around Heathrow. The Black Arrow warehouse has been designed to be highly energy efficient for EFL Global, create new jobs and sustainable skillsets for the Heathrow area, and represents a key milestone in our strategic Pathway to Net Zero for our investors.”
EFL Global President – Americas Region, Evan Rosen, added: “We are elated to expand our business and operations in England. EFL Global continues to invest in key regions that are most important to our clients, which includes strategic planning and expansions in the European region. This market is a critical part of our journey to provide unparalleled logistics and supply chain services across the globe.”
The planning permission granted by Slough Borough Council for AIPUT’s Black Arrow logistics warehouse also facilitated the delivery of significant highway improvements to the adjacent Blackthorne Road, widening the carriageway to enable HGVs accessing the Poyle Trading Estate to pass comfortably in either direction and redesigning the access to AIPUT’s Blackthorne Point location with a new, occupier-controlled security gate, improving security and reducing traffic congestion.
Construction at Black Arrow was carried out by A&H Construction, managed by Northland. AIPUT’s leasing representatives were JLL, DTRE and Logix.
For further images or information, please contact:
Harvey Presence or Will Heron: 020 7630 1411
The Communication Group plc
Notes to editors
- Airport Industrial Property Unit Trust (AIPUT) is a long-term investor specialising in industrial logistics property at and within major UK airport gateway ecosystems. AIPUT is the only specialist airport-focused industrial fund in the UK for expert institutional investors, with an expected duration until 2036. AIPUT aims to deliver a positive ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) performance by ensuring that it undertakes responsible investment activity throughout its portfolio.
- The fund, which marked its 18-year anniversary in March 2023, manages a prime portfolio of properties providing high-quality and customised warehousing, logistics space and services:
- £700 million assets under management (@ March 2023)
- 21 assets, amounting to over 2.4million sq ft, spread over 190 acres
- 2.0m sq ft of assets are located at West London/Heathrow, making AIPUT one of the largest landlords in the area, serving the evolving needs of local businesses and increasingly the 7 million people that live and work in the area
- 75% of the portfolio’s assets are located within Greater London, with 25% elsewhere in the south east
- Assets at four of London’s major international airports: Heathrow (89%), Gatwick (6%), Luton (4%) and Stansted (1%)
- Clients and investors – pension funds and expert institutional investors
- More information can be found at AIPUT’s dedicated website: www.aiput.co.uk
About EFL Global
- EFL Global is a leading supply chain and logistics solutions provider. We offer an extensive global service menu, including transportation, warehousing and distribution, customs brokerage and compliance, and more.
- With over 3,000 employees across 39 countries worldwide, EFL Global is committed to simplifying logistics for businesses through flexible, transparent, and future-ready solutions.
About Tritax Management LLP
- Tritax is an asset manager investing in critical supply chain real assets aligned with the structural trends that are shaping the future economy, including digitisation, automation, urbanisation and green energy.
- Combined, our two publicly listed FTSE-250 funds (Tritax Big Box REIT plc and Tritax EuroBox plc) and a growing suite of private market products, own and manage more than 50 million sq ft of modern, flexible and well-located real assets. These help businesses succeed in a dynamic economy by enabling sustainable and resilient supply chains and offer investors access to a wide range of some of the most attractive opportunities in this fast-growing sector.
- We collaborate with our stakeholders to deliver a cleaner, healthier and more equitable society because we believe this will drive superior returns over the long term. Our specialist focus and 25+ year track record enable us to identify the best investment opportunities, while our entrepreneurial spirit and strong governance enable us to move fast and confidently act on them.
- Tritax is backed by global asset manager abrdn.