abrdn’s AIPUT fund (Airport Industrial Property Unit Trust) has today announced the freehold acquisition of Trade City Luton.
New Trade City Luton industrial trade park acquired for £38.44m at an anticipated yield of 3.75%
Trade City Luton forms part of the Kingsway Industrial Estate, located in the heart of Luton. This new industrial park, offering a range of highly flexible units between 5,000 and 27,000 sq ft, is positioned to appeal to first and last mile logistics occupiers, making the most of Luton’s growing status as a rapidly expanding commuter town and multi-modal logistics hub, with easy access to a local population of over 1 million. Located on the A5065, the site is one mile from Junction 11 on the M1, four miles from the airport and within 15 miles of the M25. Trade City Luton benefits from excellent rail connectivity to the Midlands, North, south into London and to a number of major regional gateway ports.
This prime 125,000 sq ft industrial regeneration scheme, developed by Kier in 2021, supports around 250 jobs and dovetails well with AIPUT’s strategy to actively support the nation’s logistics and supply chain resilience by investing in the critical industrial infrastructure that UK plc needs in a post-Brexit and post-Covid world. The market-leading specification of the scheme - which includes EV charging stations and
smart energy metering - supports AIPUT’s Net Zero strategy, achieving an EPC ‘A’ rating and BREEAM Very Good. Average headline rents at Trade City Luton stand at only £10 per sq ft, compared to £17 per sq ft typically available locally.
Trade City is proving to be a popular location for a wide range of business sectors, having attracted three new lettings already in 2022, including Evolution Ceramics, Euro Taste and Gopuff, each supporting wider economic growth and job creation in the local area. Only two units are currently vacant.
Nick Smith, Fund Manager for AIPUT, commented: “This latest addition to AIPUT’s industrial real asset portfolio represents our first investment in Luton, an incredibly well-connected but supply-constrained South-East town that is making huge strides in building back better following the brutal challenges of recent times.
“Trade City Luton represents a key step-change in our drive to transform the resilience of AIPUT’s portfolio, helping fulfil our lead strategy to decarbonise and diversify our industrial real assets in thriving gateway markets. Responsibly regenerating and investing in the very best highly energy-efficient and highly adaptable industrial property is critical to appeal to a new breed of first and last mile occupiers and their staff.
“Our goal is to leverage every opportunity here to use our asset management skills to unlock real long-term value for people and businesses, as much as working to enhance the bottom line. Key will be promoting and plugging into the greener transport of goods and people through Luton’s extensive multi-modal supply chain networks.”
Leigh Thomas, Managing Director for Keir Property commented: “This sale demonstrates our ability to develop, add value and secure key occupiers in key locations.”
AIPUT’s acquisition of Trade City Luton follows swiftly on the heels of the fund’s recent acquisition of Tesla’s Crawley HQ and the nearby 95,000 sq ft GIA Fleming Business Centre, both located in close proximity to Gatwick Airport.
AIPUT was advised by JLL and Eversheds Sutherland.
For further images or information, please contact:
Melissa Pentecost or John Mills: 020 7630 1411
The Communication Group plc
Notes to editors
- abrdn’s’ AIPUT (Airport Industrial Property Unit Trust) is a market-leading and award-winning expert long-term investor specialising in industrial property at and within major UK trade gateway ecosystems. AIPUT is the only specialist airport-focused industrial fund in the UK for expert institutional investors, with a life until 2036. AIPUT aims to deliver a positive ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) performance impact from undertaking responsible investment activity throughout its portfolio.
- The fund, marking its 17-year anniversary in March 2022, manages a prime portfolio of properties providing high-quality and customised warehouse and logistics space and services:
- £1.1 Billion assets under management (@ May 2022)
- Delivered a Trust total return of 46% in the 12 months to March 2022
- 23 assets, amounting to over 2.5m sq ft, spread over 200 acres
- 77% of assets located in Greater London and 23% outside the M25 in the South East
- Assets are located at London’s four major international airports: Heathrow (89%), Gatwick (6%), Luton (4%) and Stansted (1%)
- Clients and investors – pension funds & expert institutional investors
- More information can be found at AIPUT’s dedicated website: www.aiput.co.uk
At abrdn, we enable our clients to plan, save and invest for their futures.
We structure our business into three areas – and together they reflect our focus on enabling our clients to be better investors:
- Investments: We work with clients to create solutions across asset classes, regions and markets globally – combining multi-layered research and market insights with technology and diverse thinking.
- Adviser: We offer market-leading platform technology and tools that enable UK wealth managers and financial advisers to create more opportunity for their business and their clients.
- Personal: We help people throughout the UK plan for their financial futures – through our financial planning business and our digital investing services.
Across our investments, adviser and personal businesses we manage and administer £532 billion of assets for our clients, and abrdn plc has over 1 million shareholders. (Figures as at 30 June 2021)
Our investments are built on an insight strength that comes from multi-layered research and a large global footprint. Our teams collaborate across multiple capabilities, to create forward-thinking solutions that aim to meet our clients’ needs and deliver more sustainable outcomes. Our investments business manages £456.6 billion on behalf of individuals, governments, pension funds, insurers, companies, charities and foundations (as at 30 June 2021) – with support and expertise from 800 investment specialists in over 30 locations.
abrdn is the single global brand for all areas of our business. In July 2021 our plc listing became abrdn plc. In September our investments business, formerly Aberdeen Standard Investments, became abrdn. abrdn.com
For Professional Investors only
The value of investments, and the income from them, can go down as well as up and you may get back less than the amount invested. Past performance is not a guide to future results. Tax treatment depends on the individual circumstances of each investor and may be subject to change in the future. We recommend that you seek financial advice prior to making an investment decision.
The details contained here are for information purposes only and should not be considered as an offer, investment recommendation, or solicitation to deal in any investments or funds and does not constitute investment research, investment recommendation or investment advice in any jurisdiction. Any research or analysis used to derive, or in relation to, the above information has been procured by us for our own use, without taking into account the investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any specific investor, and may have been acted on for own purpose.
No warranty is given as to the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this communication and no liability for errors or omissions in such information. Readers must make assessments to the relevance, accuracy and adequacies of the information contained in this communication and make independent investigations, as they may consider necessary or appropriate for the purpose of such assessments. Any opinion or estimate contained in this communication, are made on a general basis. No information contained herein constitutes investment, tax, legal or any other advice, or an invitation to apply for securities in any jurisdiction where such an offer or invitation is unlawful, or in which the person making such an offer is not qualified to do so.
Issued in the United Kingdom (UK) by Aberdeen Asset Managers Limited, registered in Scotland (SC108419) at 10 Queen’s Terrace, Aberdeen, AB10 1XL, and Standard Life Investments Limited registered in Scotland (SC123321) at 1 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 2LL. Both companies are authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Conduct Authority.